Monday, August 27, 2012

Transtibial Beginnings...


Let the 17 week program begin!!  Today was the first day of strictly prosthetic learning and they were not messing around.  We started in immediately with transtibial amputation lectures and did not stop until we had gone through 134 slides.  I believe the picture above was somewhere around 110.  We spent the day learning what we will be doing for the next 6 weeks (all below the knee amputations) and went into detail about the exact anatomy of this area of the body.

We start seeing patients tomorrow!  Thankfully, we have a dry run with the instructors tomorrow and they are going to be the ones casting and taking measurements on the patients, but we only get a 24 hour pass with this one because on Wednesday, we have our own patients.  I am hoping my professional attire and lab coat will exude confidence to my patient and he/she will just trust that I know what I am doing.  That means at least one of us will ;)

I actually loved class today - sure, a 6 hour lecture is hard to sit through, but it was all interesting and relevant and things that I am actually going to be practicing over the next few days and weeks (actually, the rest of my career).  I am so excited to be learning the ins and outs of prosthetics and to start understanding in great detail the things that I have been observing and hearing about for the past couple of years.  I definitely feel like I have no clue what is going on half the time, or how to differentiate support from stabilizing, but I know that I am going to know those things because they are going to drill them into my head!  And because I want to know them of course!

Tomorrow is more lecturing in the morning and then the patients come in the afternoon.  We also get to start the day with a video of a below the knee amputation!!  I am probably the most excited about that...people have already been given permission to leave the room if they are squeamish, but I think it is going to be pretty fascinating.  Onto day two...

No comments:

Post a Comment