Thursday, October 25, 2012

Knees and Toes, Knees and Toes

I have officially completed my first "full" leg!!  In transtibial we were just attaching the pylons and the feet, but in transfemoral, we learned how to put a knee in between all of that!  Pretty exciting!!  I think I have mentioned this in regards to every single component or option that we have when we make legs, but the number of knee options is unreal.  There are knees that are called single-axis that simply act like a door hinge, there are polycentric knees (meaning they move all around), hydraulic knees and microprocessors knees...it is a lot to handle.  Thankfully, this is school, a place where you are given instructions and direction.  On our first project, we are all using single-axis knees.  All I have to worry about is this knee bending back and forth like a door opening and closing.  Well, first I have to worry that my patient will be able to walk comfortably enough in the leg to make that motion happen, but I am just assuming we will get there :)

The alignment process for transfemoral is a lot less stressful than that of transtibial legs.  This took me forever in previous legs and the measurements for transfemoral are all pretty universal and because you are controlling a knee and ankle and foot, you have a lot more freedom to move the alignment around once it is on the patient.  Transtibial is all about the alignment, transfemoral is all about the socket fit.

This week has magically worked out for me in regards to this prosthesis.  I know that it means I will probably struggle with the next project, but I am enjoying the calmness at the moment.  I was able to get all of my components together and attach them and "gunk" them onto my socket in a relatively quick fashion.  It is always such a cool feeling to look at a leg that you have completed from start to finish (I know this is redundant, but just looking at the picture makes me feel proud).  I will not get to try this on Norma until next Wednesday.  We are moving slowly through transfemoral, getting our feet wet and trying to learn as much as possible about the components and gait and alignment before we actually have to put the knowledge in action with our patients.  So, alas, now my leg just sits on my workbench waiting to be worn and walked in.  I have put all of my body weight on it, walked it up and down the halls of school (the knee successfully bending as it is supposed to) and cleaned it about 5 times since completion.  I guess the only thing to do now is to wait...


No comments:

Post a Comment