Sunday, September 23, 2012

iLimb iLearn

Welcome to my Saturday seminar from Touch Bionics about their awesome iLimb upper extremity prosthetics.  Granted, sitting in a 4 hour lecture on a Saturday morning was probably not my first choice in ways to spend my weekend - I get enough lectures and not enough sleep during the week, but I was invited to attend this training and information seminar and I thought it would be pretty interesting.  And luckily, it was!  I have only been learning lower extremity prosthetics thus far in school - upper extremities are the last thing we do before graduation...so I am still probably 9 weeks away from even starting that part of the program.  Which essentially means, I have very very little knowledge about anything to do with upper extremities, besides what I have seen in clinics or at camp.  Getting these arms and hands (mainly the hand motions) right and even comparable to an able-bodied person is really really tough.  This is why the technology for upper extremities is more advanced than what is being done for legs. The technology for both has come a long way, but people can live a very active and normal life with a foot that does nothing but stay flat and provide balance.  Thousands of amputees walk on these basic feet everyday.  A hand that does nothing is only beneficial from an aesthetic point of view.  There are plenty of people who have upper limb amputations who truly only want something cosmetic and do not really desire or need a fully functioning hand, but there are plenty of other people who do.  This is where the iLimb hand shines above and beyond all other hands on the market.  This hand is UNREAL!!  It can be programmed to make 14 different motions or gestures...including the 'hook em horns' sign :)  It can grasp money, pinch and pick up tiny things like pills, hold groceries, help you button your shirt...it was pretty amazing.  It is definitely futuristic looking and makes the noise of a machine - this turns some people off, but as far as functionality, it is the closest thing to the real thing that you can get.  I also was able to help cast a patient who came in to try out the arm/hand and who is currently being fitted for the device.

I was tired and it is always hard to give up half a free day when all I want to do is lay in bed, but I am so glad I went.  I was able to see something not a lot of people get to see and I think it will put me a little ahead of the game when it comes time to do upper extremities in class.  I learned a lot and am interested in learning more...prosthetics is more than just legs...although, not in my world just yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment